On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 01:40:23 +1100
Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:06:35 -0500, Charles A Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:39:32 +1100
> > Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> If you have a problem with RHN, then you have a problem with customised web
> services in general. Services are the only way that companies like Mandrake and
> Red Hat can make significant amounts of money, since they are losing money on
> their distributions. There is nothing wrong with web services, provided that
> they are carried out in an ethical manner. RHN and MandrakeOnline only collect
> the information they need to do a specific task. They don't try to cover
> everything from e-mail to e-commerce, and they don't subvert the user's Internet
> experience like XP. They also clearly spell out what they are doing, and they
> don't try to press-gang the user into joining. They are also GPL, so there is no
> chance of spyware and little chance of insecurity (because of peer review,
> etc.).

I have no problem with RHN as so stated in my previous post.

I used it with 7.1 and am currently using it with 7.2

It was not my objective to either vilify RH nor to condone the actions or
behaviour of MS.

You are speaking of the actuality of the consequences as handled and applied
by either party.
I was speaking of and comparing only the base concept as being used by both
and the common core from which it was derived.

We hold differing views on this matter.
You need not agree or change to mine, nor I to yours.
Both, should, and do, have their place.
And each should be respected as such.

   Charles