Hi Tom,

My case currenly has no sides on it at all, front or back, there is a power
supply fan directing air directly onto the CPU via a pcv pipe, and the Fan
is a GlobalWin AMD approved 7000 rpm fan.

I used thermal grease on the top, and under, (on the thermister) to give
more accurate readings..

The temp reading I got was from the BIOS, that box is running 7.2 which
doesn't have lm sensors...

I have the bios set to shut down the box if the temp goes over 70 degrees at
the thermister. and so far that hasnt' happened.

problem is that the system is in a roon that can get to 45 or more degree's
in mid summer, (which is a month or two away.)

So I may have to resort to air con or possibly underclocking if it proves an
issue..

I have also just downloaded the AMD cooling pdf from their site for a read..

it may not matter, if the price is good, I may have an AMD AthlonXP 1800+ by
this time next week, which apparently run cooler.. and my MB supports them
as well.

has anyone gotten lm sensors working on 7.2?  do I have to recompile the
kernel for it?

rgds

Frank