On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:27:46 +1300
Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|> Yulliansyah wrote:
|> > When run windows Explorer it become very slow. Drive G: in theorycal should be
|invisible but it Visible and have an icon like a CDROM icon.

It sounds really odd for Windows to even notice your Linux partitions without an extra
program. Personally, I'd be worried about Windows playing with my Linux partitions,
especially when it's basically suggesting that a portion of the hard drive is a CD-Rom.

|> >HD 1 : 20 GB  (Windows 98)
|> >C: FAT32 - 8 Gb - Primary - Active
|> > *. Ext
|> >  E: FAT32 - 6Gb - Logical
|> >  F: FAT32 - 6Gb - Logical
|> >
|> >HD 2 : 4.2 GB (plan for Linux Mandrake 8.0 in drive G: )
|> >D: FAT32 - 1.5 Gb - Primary - Active
|> >  *. Ext
|> >    G: Linux  Ext. - 3Gb - Logical

Drive D: doesn't need to be active when your core Windows files are on drive C:.
Taking a stab in the dark, I myself would be wondering that having an active partition
that's used as a logical one (drive D:) would confuse Windows a bit. Perhaps It's
checking drive C: & drive D: for system files, when it should just be checking drive
C:? If you absolutely must have drive D: on that physical disk, I'd move everything
off of it into a folder on one of the other partitions, then reformat that space as an
extended partition then place the logical partition (as opposed to active) there, then
transfer the files back to the partition.

|> Not quite answering your question. But perhaps you
|> could look at moving all off D: to E: or F:.
|> Then linux would have a whole physical drive to itself
|> that windows wouldn't even lookat.

Definitely not a bad idea, especially if you ever have to reinstall Windows. I can't
speak about Win98, but I couldn't get WinME's fdisk, from the floppy, to even work
with Linux partitions on the drives. This matters if you can't boot into Windows when
something goes wrong and you HAVE to start from scratch.

|> I think windows should rename E: and F: to D: and E:
|> on next boot up - but not totally sure. Perhaps
|> someone else could confirm.

You're right on this. If Yulliansyah reformated drive D: as a logical drive, then the
letters would change this way:
    E: -> D:
    F: -> E:
    D: -> F: