On Saturday 10 November 2001 04:00 am, skinky wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:44, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> |
> |     The regular kernel will work as always, it just won't see
> | more'n about 900+mb of ram.

> Well anyway, thats good news Tom, thanks.  I'll put the two new
> 512mb sticks in slots 2 & 3 like you said, and leave the 128mb
> stick in the first slot... then I'll hold my breath while I wait to
> see if anything breaks!
>
> skinky

    It won't break.  You could try to break it tho ;)  IIRC, early on
in the kerenl config, there's an option called 'big' or 'high' memory
support. It's off by default in what I'm calling a regular kernel. If
you recompile the kernel with this option on, then the kernel will be
able to address megagigs of ram.  Problem is I vaguely remember it's
off for good reasons, ie, high memory support in a 'regular' kernel
can break or degrade other stuff ;>  If you do recompile, I suggest
you edit the Makefile's  EXTRAVERSION = -?mdk to somethin else, say
= -big , so you'll have a completely new kernel version and you can
keep your existing kernel.

   FWIW, as long as you're in there installing new ram, pull out that
existing 128mb stick, clean the contacts lightly with a pencil eraser
and re-install it.  Also, re-seat all your other stuff like IDE
cables, peripheal cards, etc. Clean any dust bunnies out of all the
heatsinks. Can't hurt, may save you some future problems
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA
           chmod +x /bin/Laden.al-Qaeda.Taliban