On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:00, Tom Brinkman wrote:
|      It won't break.  You could try to break it tho ;)  IIRC, early on
|  in the kerenl config, there's an option called 'big' or 'high' memory
|  support. It's off by default in what I'm calling a regular kernel. If
|  you recompile the kernel with this option on, then the kernel will be
|  able to address megagigs of ram.  Problem is I vaguely remember it's
|  off for good reasons, ie, high memory support in a 'regular' kernel
|  can break or degrade other stuff ;>  If you do recompile, I suggest
|  you edit the Makefile's  EXTRAVERSION = -?mdk to somethin else, say
|  = -big , so you'll have a completely new kernel version and you can
|  keep your existing kernel.
|
|     FWIW, as long as you're in there installing new ram, pull out that
|  existing 128mb stick, clean the contacts lightly with a pencil eraser
|  and re-install it.  Also, re-seat all your other stuff like IDE
|  cables, peripheal cards, etc. Clean any dust bunnies out of all the
|  heatsinks. Can't hurt, may save you some future problems

Tom, thanks for the advice and the extra tips! Muchly appreciated.

I've decided to install all the ram and the enterprise kernel alongside
the 'regular' kernel and see how that goes.

This kernel thing is also a first for me but I've been following the
threads on installing kernels and saved all the relevant posts.  I'll hang
on to your advice should I later decide to recompile.

I'll read up some docs on kernels (the enterprise one in particular)
tonight.

skinky
--
But what ... is it good for?
(Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,