On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:49:57 +0100
windstar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a newbie and wanted to install mandrake 8.1 - it don't work :-(
>
> There is a PC with a 200 CPU, 1,2 gb hdd, 24 CD-ROM and 64 MB ram.
> The hdd is empty - fresh born.
> I put the cd no. 1 in the cd-rom and started the PC. It stoped while
> accessing the cd-rom.
> Then I made a bootdisk - the same :-(

What do you mean with 'the same' ? I understand it also didn't let you
install LM8.1 but more details can help to find a reason for the failure
or even <gasp> a solution ;) If booting from CD doesn't work it may
be that your BIOS does not support booting from CD. Anyway, whether booting
from CD or bootdisk, the CD/floppy device should be made a boot device in
the BIOS setup. Did you read the README file on the first CD on how to make
a bootfloppy? (the README is of course accesible from Windows and the floppy
can also be made under that OS). Oh, and recently I got a kernel panic
trying to boot from a standard bootfloppy, it turned out a new floppy
made the same way worked, somehow the first floppy was corrupt :(

    -Frans