> Yes, sorry... I meant my Swap to be 2x my RAM so I would go for a Swap
> partition of about 130 MB or so. Is Root where the actual OS is

That's a good choice.

Root (the / partition itself) contains directories and files needed by
the system. At minimum, it needs to have enough room to store files and
directories which can't be (or is unwise to be) stored in other partitions.
These would include directories such as /etc, /sbin, /bin, and so forth. You
could have a small / partition (on the order of 64-128 megs or so; I've
done it with as little as 32 megs in / in older releases) provided of
course you have a partition (or partitions) for the bulk of the system -
most programs are stored underneath /usr, which could be mounted on another
partition.

> Lastly, is the Home partition for all Programs one wants to load? With a
> Swap partition of 130 MB and Root of 1 GB, that only leaves me about 900

Not as such. You could install programs in your home directory, but most
programs you install will go in either /usr or /usr/local. Think of /usr
(loosely) as the "Program Files" area and /home as the "My Documents" area.
It's not a completely valid analogy, as some programs are located in other
places, and other files (like documents) are stored elsewhere too.

> MB for a Home partition. Does that sound about right? And again, will
> DiskDrake allow me to create those partitions or will I have to purchase
> Partition Magic?

Diskdrake should do fine, no need for PM.

As others suggest, you'll probably do best for the time being with a single
partition for / (and everything else) and a separate partitino for swap. One
really needs some experience to figure out good settings for other partitions
on a multi-partition setup and you don't want to run out of space because you
underestimated your space needs.

And, if you run out of space, you can always get a bigger secondary disk,
and move larger directories out of the first disk and into partitions on the
second disk.