What are you asking? For a distribution or a specific laptop model?

If this is of any help I installed Linux-Mandrake 8.0 on an HP N3215 running
475Mhz AMD K-6, 128Mb, 4Gb harddrive, and a Cyberblade graphics chip powering
a passive matric LCD. The installation was great but there is no touchpad. I
don't know if this has been solved or not but it might give you some idea.
Just like with desktop software modem won't work for the majority and those
that can require some work.

Good luck.