I tried to install mplayer, but it warns me about using gcc-2.96 (which is
the gcc version that comes with mandrake 8.1).  Has anyone experienced
forcing an install anyway? Were there a lot of bugs?

I'm willing to downgrade to 2.95.x if it will help, but I can't seem to find
it. All the sites just seem to offer the full mandrake 7.2 iso :/

Meg