The mplayer developers are rabid about gcc 2.96 being "broken" -- it isn't.
Mplayer should work fine if you compile with gcc 2.96.

Mandrake 8.1 comes with gcc 3.01 as well, which can be installed alongside gcc
2.96. If you have any difficulty compiling something with 2.96, try with 3.01.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                        Failure is not an option.
                It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.