On Sunday 18 November 2001 01:30 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> >     So you've got 3 choices, edit the heck out'a the src code,
> > disable gcc checking, or just install the Mandrake rpm. I used
> > the Mandrake src.rpm, works great :)
>
> For what it's worth, I had pretty decent results compiling with the
> --disable-gcc-checking switch. Of course, your mileage may vary,
> and the developers basically suggest "you asked for it" if you have
> problems.

   I had mplayer compiled from the tarball, but some files, .avi's in
particular ran 'fast' and/or had poor picture quality. Some, not all.
After getting rid of the src version and installing the Mandrake
developers rpm, al my files run perfectly. As you say tho, YMMV.

   Generally when I can find a Mandrake rpm or src.rpm for an app I
prefer to use it, rather than vanilla tarballs. It indicates, at
least to me, that it (the src) has had the attention of the Mandrake
developers, and installs to LSB standard locations that Mandrakes
uses. IOW's I only use vanilla src as a last resort ;)
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA