On Sunday 25 November 2001 03:37 am, you wrote:
> problems with sis900 network card
> ----------------------------
> i recently purchased an athlon xp1800+ system and it came with the k7s5a
> motherboard (sis735 chipset), which has an on-board network interface.
> however, it's not being recognized by mandrake8.1.  what settings should i
> check?  is this onboard network interface sufficient, or should i just use
> a standard nic that plugs into a pci slot?
>

> changing screen resolution
> ----------------------
> how can we change the screen resolution in mandrake?  i'm running at
> 1024x768 (which was set at installation time), but i can't figure out where
> to change this from the desktop.  also, at this resolution, there are very
> thin, horizontal black lines running through the screen (looks kinda
> fuzzy).  i'm using a kvm switcher and on my windows machine, the 1024x768
> resolution is very sharp and crisp.  the graphics card is a 128MB SiS
> 6315...
>

> thanks...

Interesting, I have a K7s5A and the SiS900 set up out of the box.

OK do this

open a terminal

$ su
password:(give your root password)
# linuxconf

(Use alt-click to move the screen til you can click 'OK')

Select networking
Select adapters
put in the parameters for the network card--the module name is

'sis900'

without the quotes.

tick the 'enable' button

Quit, quit, quit, doit

# exit

Close the terminal

You should now have a network card.

To change resolution, use Control Center (Mandrake, not KDE) and select
hardware/video.  Change the resolution then exit and use ctrl-alt-backspace
to restart X to make the resolution change take effect.

Civileme
QA Team