First, make sure that you're running a DHCP "Client" and not a DHCP "Server".
A client goes looking for an IP, a server hands out IP's. But the IP you need
is handed out by ATT@HOME not by your machine. Secondly, make sure you have
the DNS numbers for ATT's DNS servers properly configured.  Make sure that
your firewall (if you have one) isn't blocking OUTGOING ports as well. That
would prevent you from getting Internet access as well. That one costed me 5
days of hell!  But only one time ! LOL! Third, open a root console, and try
these commands,..."ifconfig" and "ifup eth0" - without the quotes. ifconfig
ought to give you the Ip assigned by your ISP (ATT@HOME). If there's an IP
address associated with your "eth0" network card, then your problem is
elsewhere.

Lanman