On Wednesday 28 November 2001 08:07 am, you wrote:
> Well, I'm new to linux here, and finally settled with Mandrake after
> trying many different ones.  However, I seem to have gotten stuck on my
> cable modem configuration. I have att@home and should be using dhcp to
> obtain my ip address.  Basically what happens after I stop and restart the
> netowrk is getting the IP address fails.  Any help with this would be much
> appreciated.

@home gave you an ID number. It's in the form of Cxxxxxxx-A. In windows this
is the name of your computer (control panel -> network -> identity tab).

In linux, set that as your host name, use dhcp, and your cable modem should
fire right up.

The easiest way to set the host name is to go into mandrake control center,
then network->connection->configure.

the only downside is your bash prompt will be [user@cxxxxxxx-a user]$,
although there's surely ways to change that.

Matt