Warren Post wrote:

> Further information on this problem... my /etc/resolv.conf file reads:
>
> # search pizzapizza.net hondutel.hn
> search pizzapizza.net
> # nameserver 192.168.0.1
> nameserver 206.48.104.142
> nameserver 206.48.104.158
>
> # ppp temp entry
>
> The first time I had this problem, I solved it by remarking out 192.168.0.1 as the
> first nameserver. I don't understand why the same symptoms have returned even
> though 192.168.0.1 remains remarked out. Any ideas, anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Warren
> --
> http://www.srcopan.vze.com/
>
> Warren Post wrote:
>
> > Several people on this list have noted this problem:
> >
> > > If you have a local area network, 2 or more computers connected, and you
> > > setup the LAN and eth0 during install, there is a bug in 8.1 that seems to
> > > stop the internet connection.  Try going to a console and su>root passwd> and
> > > then tlype "ifdown eth0" then back to the desktop and try connecting to
> > > internet again.
> > >

> > (Quoting Dennis Myers). I have encountered this problem not once but
> > twice. The first time was upon installation. I was able to fix it using
> > Dark Lord's advice to edit the nameservers declared in /etc/resolv.conf.
> > Then yesterday the problem returned after running the Internet
> > Connection Sharing wizard. The wizard did not change the nameservers in
> > /etc/resolv.conf, and I've searched in vain for files changed yesterday
> > that mention "nameserver".
> >
> > Dennis's workaround of taking down the LAN before connecting to the
> > Internet works, but does anyone know a permanent solution to this
> > problem?

Hi Warren,
        I've seen a similar problem on my dial-up system. So far I have
discovered that are at least two programs that write (on a temporary
basis) to /etc/resolv.conf; the first is kppp and the second seems to be
the pppd daemon. You can identify what is happening if you try to make
your connection and then open /etc/resolv.conf. I discovered from this
that the two dns servers that I had entered in the setup had been
appended by two completely different ip addresses (neither of which I
had provided). This made a total of four dns's in the file which is
illegal (three is the max). Subsequently I discovered that there is
another resolv.conf in the /etc/ppp directory which contained the other
addresses and it was this files contents that was being appended.
This may of course be unrelated but I have had alot of difficulty with
the Mandrake Control Centre lan and internet setup in both 8.0 and 8.1
and it has always been related to a nameserver issue.

        Regards,

Colin Close