i have a geforce 3, the tvout works great on it and Xv is now supported, so
you should get a decent frame rate.  If you unplug your monitor and just have
s-video plugged in, it will automatically boot up to your tv.  I have it
setup so that when I press ctrl-alt-F8, it displays on the tv (running
blackbox), and when I press ctrl-alt-F7 (default) it displays back on my
monitor running gnome.  This can be easily created by adding a new monitor
section (for your tv) and a new screen section for your tv screen, then
running the command
startx -- :1 -screen tv_screen

enjoy

mark