> to have filled up your root partition. All the better to have /var off by
> itself on another partitiion somewhere. Normally, of course, that shouldn't
> happen; something must have caused a runaway log. For 'regular' workstations
> those logs should be only a few megs apiece.

They were except for those few files I mentioned.

> About failsafe in particular: I don't pretty much like Mandrake's idea of
> graphical login, which even goes as far to elide the need for passwords at
> times. To each their own, but I prefer actually having to login at a login:
> prompt. And, I've always booted up in console mode, using startx to get
> to X.

Is there an advantage to booting to console rather than to the graphical
login?
I've only used console mode in 'emergencies'. I have an 11 yr old who
will only use Linux so the graphical login is easier for her to use.

> I had just gotten DSL...
Only in my dreams.

> And for what it's worth - I don't know if you're running with ext2 or
> reiserfs, but another way to add a lot of extra space is to switch to
> reiserfs. I didn't expect it at all, but I converted some of my filesystems
> over to reiserfs earlier today, and /home, which was a 5gig filesystem and
> was almost full, now has >900 megs free. The same is true for /usr/local,
> another 5 gig partition. It wasn't as full as /home, but there's a lot more
> room there now. I figure that's due to not needing inodes and such. Probably
> though there's got to be some reserved room for the journal - what happens
> when that gets full?

ext2
So how many partitions do you actually have then?

I thought this was a good idea:
Lanman wrote:
> I'd like to suggest that you break your "/home" partition into 2 partitions.
> Typically, DiskDrake will setup 3 partitions (ie; / , swap, and /home), but I
> suggest a fourth partition which can be used as an archive (read as storage)
> partition.

But you took this further yet? So how many partitions would be
reasonably possible?

your other email:
> it makes good sense to have multiple partitions. A drawback of course to that
> approach is that the new person doesn't really have a good idea of the space
> requirements for the various partitions.

Makes sense to me but additionally, the new person doesn't really have
an idea as to what can be partitioned alone and what can't.

Lori