On Wednesday 05 December 2001 11:57 am, you wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Okay, I'm new to the Linux world but want to become dangerous. I am also
> new to the world of Networking, but I'm still building my courage in that
> field! I have a dual boot system up and running with Win'98 and LM 8.1. On
> the Win'98 side I have my machine networked with two D-Link DFE-530TX+
> cards with the wifes machine across the other side of the room. She has
> Win'98 installed also. I have the printer connected to her machine, and we
> have Internet Connection Sharing setup also. I want to be able to print to
> the printer, access her computer, and share the Internet connection from
> inside Linux Mandrake 8.1 here on my machine. Can this be done? Someone
> told me to go buy a big book on Samba! I told him to go stick it, real men
> don't dance! Where do I start???

Your computer has two NICs? One for the internet and one that's going over to
your wife? Setting up NAT (network address translation. Otherwise known as
internet connection sharing) with Mandrake is very easy.

There appears to be a bug in 8.1 that complicates this just a tad. For me I
had to remove my NIC that is feeding my internal network, and set up my
internet connection with the other NIC. You may or may not have to do this.

Once the net connection is going, I replaced the NIC I removed (removed and
replace it with the computer off of course). Run harddrake (mandrake control
center -> hardware - > hardware) and confirm the second NIC has been
recognized. Now, still in the Mandrake control center, go over to network ->
connection sharing. It should tell you it is about to set up connection
sharing on eth1 (the second NIC). Just follow the wizard, you will probably
need to install some stuff off of your mandrake cds. It will then set it up
so other computers can access your internet connection via dhcp.

On your wife's computer go to control panel -> network. Find the TCP/IP entry
for her network card and select "properties", then "IP address" tab. Now
select "obtain IP address automatically", reboot her computer. She should be
up and running sharing the net with you.

This is by far the easiest way to do it. But the mandrake wizard does it via
dhcp and I didn't like having both the dhcp daemon and the dns daemon (named)
running on my machine. They took more resources than I liked. I also thought
dynamic addresses would complicate other aspects of my network needlessly. So
I redid it with static IP addresses, eliminating dhcp. Also, it's really
ideal to have a third computer be your network's gateway. It can run NAT, the
firewall, the local name server, samba, etc and do just that, taking the
burden off your computer. That's how I will do it once I find another
computer to use. But for now, one step at a time. Get this far and you'll be
doing well.

Matt