On Thursday 06 December 2001 05:08 am, you wrote:
> Hello Matt,

> Just noticed your answer to this post, and was wondering if you could
> help me sort out a problem.
> I've finally got dhcp, samba, bastille and nat(sharing dialup
> connection) working on lm80, but just don't understand how to set up dns on
> a local network. I have run all the tests on samba, and everything works ok
> except that I can ping by name from linux to win98 but only by ip from
> win98 to linux. this appears to point to incorrect dns settings but I have
> no idea where to start.
> btw, I need to use dhcp so my laptop can be used at home and work.

All I know about named is using it as a caching dns. My internal network asks
named for dns resolution, named asks my ISP's dns for the info, and then
keeps a copy of it internally so it can serve it up itself next time the
information is needed.

If you have a small private network, hosts files are probably a better
solution. In the file /etc/hosts, add in the IP address then the host name
for each computer on your network. Then in Windows, do the same with
C:\windows\hosts (win9x), or c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (winNT,
2000).

Check this out for a good explanation:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-iface.simple-resolv.html

Matt