On Saturday 08 December 2001 09:14, you wrote:
> Hi,
>     I would like to know where I can select a 'kernel' reinstall in the
> 'update' option of the installation cd. I screwed up a kernel update and
> now the machine will not boot into linux. When I do a 'rescue', I can see
> all my dirs so my data is all safe, I just need to get the kernel back.
> It was a standard 8.1 installation.
>
> This after all my tweaking and all the advice from the list. BTW, it my own
> inattentiveness on an update that got me here.
>
> Anyone want to help through this one, so I don't have to use 'you know
> what' to use my computer.
>
> TIA,
> Bill W.
I just did an update through the Mandrake update Utility and guess what? My
lilo won't boot, I did the lilo config and it failed something about vmlinuz
missing. Any way, you should be able to get it back by doing an expert
install using all your original partitions and just format  the "/"
partition. This should reload the old kernel or select the kernel on the CDs
you want from the flat list that you can get during the installation. When
you get the screen that has the long "install" bar, one of the little tabs
above the bar is like a L on it or F something like that, when you click on
it it gives you a flat list instead of the tree list  ( just incase you
haven't tried install that way).  Flat list shows the various kernels
available for install.  HTH
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842