On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 03:22, Stojs wrote:
> When running the server wizard from wizdrake I get stuck on hostname.
> The text sais if you will only have intranet any valid name is ok, like
> company.net. I tried using that name but it was not correct. Do I have
> to pick a host name from somewhere else on the system? Or does my
> internet connection make the wizard assume that I am trying to configure
> an internet server?
>
> What makes a hostname valid?
>
> Do I have to use a domain name as well?
>
> Thanks,
> Stojs

The hostname for a computer is a single word, like 'mycomputer' or
'frankenlinux'. The fully qualified domain name for a computer is a
combination of the hostname and domain name (separated by a dot), like
'mycomputer.somedomain.org'.

If you do not have a domain within your network (you're not running DNS
for that network), then you can make up a domain like 'domain.com'. You
must also have a hostname, and that hostname should be unique on the
network. Thus, you can't (or shouldn't) have two computers called
'twins'. You could call them 'twin1' and 'twin2'. You get the idea.

If I remember correctly, the wizard wants the fully qualified domain
name. I could be wrong, but you should be able to figure out which one
the wizard wants, and give it the "correct" answer.

Dave
--
Just a few of the perfect excuses for having some strawberry shortcake.
Pick one.

         (1)    It's less calories than two pieces of strawberry shortcake.
         (2)    It's cheaper than going to France.
         (3)    It neutralizes the brownies I had yesterday.
         (4)    Life is short.
         (5)    It's somebody's birthday.  I don't want them to celebrate alone.
         (6)    It matches my eyes.
         (7)    Whoever said, "Let them eat cake." must have been talking to me.
         (8)    To punish myself for eating dessert yesterday.
         (9)    Compensation for all the time I spend in the shower not eating.
        (10)    Strawberry shortcake is evil.  I must help rid the world of it.
        (11)    I'm getting weak from eating all that healthy stuff.
        (12)    It's the second anniversary of the night I ate plain broccoli.