Thanks to Skinky & Dennis,
I've now used InteractiveBastille and checked www.grc.com and all ports show
as closed. A stealth scan at sygate shows all ports blocked except the
following so it would appear to be working (or nearly).
FTP 21 CLOSED       SSH 22 CLOSED
SMTP 25 CLOSED    DNS 53 CLOSED
WEB  80  CLOSED   HTTPS  443 CLOSED

--

Poogle
Registered Linux user 182657 (added to sig for the benefit of those irritated