> I think it's 3.? If does require 4.?

The documentation does not say you need 4. However, the
drivers are closed source, so there's no way to guarantee
what will actually work.

I myself use 4 and the installation was virtually effortless.
If you're running nVidia cards, I know of no reason to use
3. The 3D acceleration doesn't work on nVidia cards, so it
have no advantage over 4. Version 4, on the other, is the
latest and greatest. I'd switch.

> Can I use the Mandrake Control center to update to 4?
> Or will I have to use a different method.

That should work, yes. I've never done it while actually
running X, so I don't know how well it works. But it's the
easiest, so I'd try it first ;-)

Miark