-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Ivan Offalich
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 8:58 PM
To: Mandrake Newbie
Subject: [newbie] LILO issues with 2 hard drives.

I looked all over the Linux Documentation Project website for this
information. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere so I was hoping someone

could help me with it on this list.

I'll explain my situation.

I have two hard drives installed on my computer.
hda is dedicated to Windoze.
hdc is dedicated to Linux.
When I install Linux (I've gone through the process a few times) it has
me
choose between LILO and GRUB. I have chosen LILO since I've read more
about
it than GRUB and I have a better understand of how it works. After
installing and booting up, I get the choice of booting Linux-Secure,
Linux, Linux Failsafe, or Windoze. Everything works fine like it should.

When I installed I tried both the normal boot and also the nicer looking

boot (the equivalent of  "vga=791" in the config. file), they both
worked fine.

The trouble comes afterwards.
I edited my /etc/lilo.conf file, saved it, and then typed "lilo" into
the
shell.
It returned a confirmation that the file was edited properly. When I
restarted my computer the BIOS went through its normal checks and
when it got to the "OS Loading..." part the screen starts filling with
"01
00 01 00 01 00 01 00 01" etc.

I understood that this meant my MBR was corrupted, so I did a fdisk /mbr

from my DOS bootdisk. This allowed me to get into Windoze normally and I

could of course get into Linux using my Linux bootdisk. I restored the
/etc/lilo.conf file to its original condition and typed "lilo" once
more.
When I restarted my computer the next time I got the same 1s and 0s.

Considering that I took much care into editing the /etc/lilo.conf file
originally, this leads me to believe that it wasn't the result of a typo
in
the file.

What it does lead me to believe is that the installation process writes
the MBR differently than LILO does from Linux. I'm not sure if that's
the
case though. It's also possible that I'm doing something wrong somehow
that
I don't realize. Is it possible that hda isn't being mounted properly
before it's being written to? Does the fact that the drive is used for
Windoze make a difference in this case? Is there something else I'm
overlooking here?

I'd appreciate any help that anyone can offer to fix this problem. I'd
like
to be able to boot into Linux without a floppy disk again and be able to

use LILO properly.

Ivan.