IO> I looked all over the Linux Documentation Project website for this
IO> information. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere so I was hoping someone
IO> could help me with it on this list.

IO> I'll explain my situation.

IO> I have two hard drives installed on my computer.
IO> hda is dedicated to Windoze.
IO> hdc is dedicated to Linux.
IO> When I install Linux (I've gone through the process a few times) it has me
IO> choose between LILO and GRUB. I have chosen LILO since I've read more about
IO> it than GRUB and I have a better understand of how it works.
IO> After installing and booting up, I get the choice of booting Linux-Secure,
IO> Linux, Linux Failsafe, or Windoze. Everything works fine like it should.
IO> When I installed I tried both the normal boot and also the nicer looking
IO> boot (the equivalent of  "vga=791" in the config. file), they both worked fine.

IO> The trouble comes afterwards.
IO> I edited my /etc/lilo.conf file, saved it, and then typed "lilo" into the
IO> shell.
IO> It returned a confirmation that the file was edited properly.
IO> When I restarted my computer the BIOS went through its normal checks and
IO> when it got to the "OS Loading..." part the screen starts filling with "01
IO> 00 01 00 01 00 01 00 01" etc.

Either a geometry mismatch or a "0x80  0x81" stuff trouble.

IO> I understood that this meant my MBR was corrupted, so I did a fdisk /mbr
IO> from my DOS bootdisk. This allowed me to get into Windoze normally and I
IO> could of course get into Linux using my Linux bootdisk. I restored the
IO> /etc/lilo.conf file to its original condition and typed "lilo" once more.
IO> When I restarted my computer the next time I got the same 1s and 0s.

Nope this does not happen when mbr is corrupted. It is an error
message of lilo actually. Until here I can say that there is a
geometry mismatch or a "bios hard disk boot priority" problem.

IO> Considering that I took much care into editing the /etc/lilo.conf file
IO> originally, this leads me to believe that it wasn't the result of a typo in
IO> the file.

Dont think so

IO> What it does lead me to believe is that the installation process writes to
IO> the MBR differently than LILO does from Linux.

No they dont. But meanwhile  something might have changed, that should
be defined in lilo.conf

IO> I'm not sure if that's the
IO> case though. It's also possible that I'm doing something wrong somehow that
IO> I don't realize.

Most probably. But sometimes some stuff needs to deep info.

IO> Is it possible that hda isn't being mounted properly
IO> before it's being written to?

No need to mount it. Lilo deals with physichal sectors.

IO> Does the fact that the drive is used for
IO> Windoze make a difference in this case? Is there something else I'm
IO> overlooking here?

IO> I'd appreciate any help that anyone can offer to fix this problem. I'd like
IO> to be able to boot into Linux without a floppy disk again and be able to
IO> use LILO properly.

IO> Ivan.

I can help you, I had gone too much deep into lilo. Here we have

- Geometry mismatch.
  There may be some trouble with lilo, when it is trying to define
  your hard drives geometry. I dont know your lilo / MDK version, but
  with assumptions, there must be a "lba32" line in your
  /etc/lilo.conf, so lilo will be able to access your disk that is
  larger than 8GB.

- 0x80  0x81 stuff I said. This is deep. I had written a long mail
  once for this, in this list, but could not "somehow" find it in the
  archives. The thing is,

  When you boot your system, bios gives names to your devices. IDE
  devices (hard disks, cdroms etc) are given names 0x80, 0x81, etc.
  80 is hda, 81 hdb (if exists). Unfortunately, MS products always
  assume they are 0x80. When a device is booted, bios assigns it a
  0x80, does not matter if it is hda or hdc, so this confuses logic,
  this confuses lilo.

  What may affect you, did you chage your boot sequence from your
  bios? Did you have a previously installed cdrom at hdb, then removed
  (or vice versa) ?

 These are what I can think of now. If you give me more info, (how is
 your boot sequence defined in your bios, what are your hd~ devices,
 and their sizes, /etc/lilo.conf) I can help you about this.

 Onur Kucuk