On Sunday 16 December 2001 20:57, you wrote:
> I looked all over the Linux Documentation Project website for this
> information. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere so I was hoping someone
> could help me with it on this list.
>
> I'll explain my situation.
>
> I have two hard drives installed on my computer.
> hda is dedicated to Windoze.
> hdc is dedicated to Linux.
> When I install Linux (I've gone through the process a few times) it has me
> choose between LILO and GRUB. I have chosen LILO since I've read more about
> it than GRUB and I have a better understand of how it works.
> After installing and booting up, I get the choice of booting Linux-Secure,
> Linux, Linux Failsafe, or Windoze. Everything works fine like it should.
> When I installed I tried both the normal boot and also the nicer looking
> boot (the equivalent of  "vga=791" in the config. file), they both worked
> fine.
>
> The trouble comes afterwards.
> I edited my /etc/lilo.conf file, saved it, and then typed "lilo" into the
> shell.
> It returned a confirmation that the file was edited properly.
> When I restarted my computer the BIOS went through its normal checks and
> when it got to the "OS Loading..." part the screen starts filling with "01
> 00 01 00 01 00 01 00 01" etc.
>
> I understood that this meant my MBR was corrupted, so I did a fdisk /mbr
> from my DOS bootdisk. This allowed me to get into Windoze normally and I
> could of course get into Linux using my Linux bootdisk. I restored the
> /etc/lilo.conf file to its original condition and typed "lilo" once more.
> When I restarted my computer the next time I got the same 1s and 0s.
>
> Considering that I took much care into editing the /etc/lilo.conf file
> originally, this leads me to believe that it wasn't the result of a typo in
> the file.
>
> What it does lead me to believe is that the installation process writes to
> the MBR differently than LILO does from Linux. I'm not sure if that's the
> case though. It's also possible that I'm doing something wrong somehow that
> I don't realize. Is it possible that hda isn't being mounted properly
> before it's being written to? Does the fact that the drive is used for
> Windoze make a difference in this case? Is there something else I'm
> overlooking here?
>
> I'd appreciate any help that anyone can offer to fix this problem. I'd like
> to be able to boot into Linux without a floppy disk again and be able to
> use LILO properly.
>
> Ivan.
when you did this, did you take note of the harddrive showing in the lilo
config. Since linux is on the second harddrive lilo probably wrote to that
one and then when you  boot now your computer is looking at hda not hdc for
the config file  where it isn't .  Try setting it up again as before but make
sure that it is configuring and writing to the hda drive. You should then get
the screen to select the OS of your choice and all other intelligent beings
on the planet----LINUX-MANDRAKE ! (huge applause and cheers heard in the
background).  :  )
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842