Julian,

I can't help you with the boot manager problem, but I do recommend you
use "exper" mode if you install Mandrake again.  Initially, I worried
about whether I was expert enough to use it, but it really gives you a
lot of flexibility that is not present in the other modes.  One example
is control over your partitioning -- some of the other install modes
will overwrite your existing partitions with no warning -- in expert you
can avoid that, and it seemed fairly self explanatory *to me*.  (You can
also abort the installation before making any partition changes -- just
don't do the last step on the partitioning dialog (labeled "done"??), or
say no to any prompts which say anything like "the partition table will
now be saved to disk", and, if you have to, reboot or shut your machine
off.)

hope this helps,
Randy Kramer