RPMs which needed dependencies might not have been installed in SUSE. As
regards sane, older sane were one application. Nowadays it comes with two
sane-backends and sane front ends. Those who want t use xsane, front end is
not necessary.
This is once again application specific.

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 10:49, you wrote:
> I removed the same RPM (sane) on my SuSE box with no problems at all,
> installed the .tar file and everything works.
>
> David M.
>
> On Monday 17 December 2001 07:57 pm, you wrote:
> > Whether it is SUSE or RH or Mandrake, When you remove an RPM,
> > dependencies checking is a must. Otherwise some other programs may not
> > work. It is not specific to a distro.
> > Some rpms may not have dependencies. Remove the same rpm in any distro
> > and see.
> >
> > On Monday 17 December 2001 22:13, David McGlone wrote:
> > > well same thing happened to me, I lost all my backed up data that was
> > > on 3 seperate ext2 partitions and 3 seperate partitions that I had
> > > windows installs on (mostly games) and I never told mandrakes partition
> > > tool to even touch them partitions. when I booted after my first
> > > install which I installed over a SuSE install I got a kernel panic, I
> > > wondered why such a thing happened, so I put the mandrake disk back in
> > > and when I got to the partitioning tool, it showed no partitions at
> > > all, they were all gone, it wiped out virtually everything except hda1.
> > >
> > > Well I proceeded to partition and finally install mandrake, I started
> > > to use it and it seemed to be a nice OS until the time came that I
> > > wanted to remove some rpm's and install different ones, and all I got
> > > was dependency problems left and right. I tried and tried every way I
> > > know, but it seems that when I wanted to remove 1 RPM from Mandrake, it
> > > wanted to remove the whole Operating System.
> > >
> > > At this point, I totally gave up, stuck my SuSE install Disk in and
> > > went back to SuSE.
> > >
> > > The way I see all this is, with Mandrake, you don't have much freedom.
> > > If I cannot remove an rpm and install the .tar file instead, then I
> > > think Mandrake is heading to Redmond.
> > >
> > > just my $.02
> > >
> > > David M.
> > > AIM: dmclgone27
> > > ICQ: 96210352

L.V.Gandhi
203, Soundaryalahari Apartments, Lawsons Bay colony, Visakhapatnam, 530017
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA
[EMAIL PROTECTED],  [EMAIL PROTECTED] linux user No.205042