On Sunday 23 December 2001 18:01, you wrote:
> Hi. Thanks for the reply. I believe the ISO is good, and the CD-ROM was
> "verified" after the burn.
>
> Have you heard of other HP Pavilion 2000's running Mandrake Linux? It
> isn't on the Mandrake hardware list.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Doug Lerner, Tokyo
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monday, December 24, 2001):
> >On Saturday 22 December 2001 20:47, you wrote:
> >> Hi. I just downloaded the install ISO image for Mandrake 8.1 and burned
> >> a CD-ROM from it. Then I restarted my computer and the Mandrake
> >> installation program started up. I pressed Enter and after a bunch of
> >> lines on the screen the process stopped with the following error
> >> message:
> >>
> >> <0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >>
> >> I tried this again, pressing F1 instead of Enter and choosing various
> >> other installations, such as vgalo. But they all resulted in the same
> >> error.
> >>
> >> Does this mean my hardware is just not supported?
> >>
> >> It is an HP (Hewlett-Packard) Pavilion 2000, Celeron 400 MHz, 192 MB
> >> RAM.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Doug Lerner, Tokyo
> >
> >Should not be a problem. From what I have seen on the mail list. Are you
>
> sure
>
> >you have a clean download of the iso's by using checksums? It sounds
>
> like the
>
> >install CD is not good. If you burn a new one, burn it at a slow speed
> > like 2x. HTH
No, I have not seen any complaints about the HP pavillion either, which is
what leads me to believe that it should be ok. Also HP seems to support linux
insofar as printers and other periferals are concerned. Drivers are available
for their printers and cameras so unless they have a really weird bunch of
hardware you should be ok.  Have you turned the plugnplay off in the bios?
Not familiar with the bios in a HP but if there is a line that says "Plug and
Play OS -  yes or no" try it with "no" or "off".  HTH

--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842