I tried the 'linux nobiospn' option also, and it is the same problem:
"Kernel panic! Attempted to kill init!". It seems the process starts up
and goes through more than a screen of startup stuff, then it freezes there.

I am going to try and install it on an ancient Mint Pentium 200MHz
computer I have here with 92MB RAM and see if that works. If it does it
will confirm that the CD-ROM is ok and that there is some incompatibility
with Mandrake Linux on my HP. This HP is a real cheap system ($389 new at
Yodobashi Camera) and is sort of a minimal system: 400MHz Celeron, 4GB
HD, 192MB RAM and a USB network connection.

doug

p.s. Aside: In order to install on the old Mint I first have to install a
Redhat Linux I have here because the Mint doesn't boot from a CD-ROM and
I happen to have a Redhat boot floppy lying around. And my HP, which also
has Windows installed, doesn't include a floppy. So I am creating a
Redhat Linux system first just to create a boot floppy for Mandrake!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monday, December 24, 2001):