At 08:26 PM Wednesday, 12/26/2001, daRcmaTTeR wrote -=>
>On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:34:47 -0800
>Ed Kasky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:
>
> > We tried runlevel 1 but the file system for hda1 gets mounted as read only
> > for some reaon....
> >
> > How does one get around that?
> >
> > Ed
> >
> > At 03:45 PM Wednesday, 12/26/2001, Mark Weaver wrote -=>
> > >have you tried going in at runlevel #1, umount the partition where "ps"
> > >lives and tried deleting it that way?
> >
> > Ed
>
>Ed,
>
>At this point I would boot the install CD. when the startup screen appears
>choose "F1" and then type rescue. When everything has loaded and is
>running you will cd to /mnt/bin, then rm -vf ps and that should take care
>of the problem.
>
>Then reboot the machine and log in as root. INstall the package for ps and
>that is that as they say.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Luckily, having a recent backup I
didn't have to resort to a re-install....

But I did learn something new about file attributes in fs2 though.  It
seems that ps was set with the immutable attribute - hence not deletable or
writable or even changeable without first resetting the attribute with chattr.

 From the man page for chattr:

"A  file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted or
renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be written to
the file. Only the superuser  can set or clear this attribute."

Once we cleared all the atributes, we deleted the offending programs and
re-installed procps.  They had changed just about every tool one would use
to monitor activity including ps, netstat, w, who and a few others...

That was no fun...

Thanks again for the help!!!

Ed
Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man,
but coaxed downstairs a step at a time. -Mark Twain