I'm getting closer - I think. I can plug in my various USB devices,
and the Control Center shows some of them as disks: the Card Reader at
/dev/sda and the camera (Olympus C700; great performer, btw) at
/dev/sdb. The Teleport USB modem shows up when I use UsbView, but I
haven't spotted it yet under Control Center.
   Anyway: when I try to mount (as root) the camera or the card reader,
as in: mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/camera, I get this in return:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
        or too many mounted file systems.

   Any hints or suggestions? I have a feeling that the usb modem is
falling into the "Other Devices" black hole. It's funny that UsbView
finds and identifies it, and Control Center doesn't.
   I hope that someone steers me in the right direction so that I can
use these things. It's tough being a Linux evangelist when you can't get
the system to let you use something, and yet it's automatically loaded
in Windows!
--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY