When I do the modprobe usb-storage, /dev/sda is created, but no sda1.
I have a feeling that this is one of those things that will have to wait
until Mandrake 8.2 or later. For now, I guess I'll just stick with
Windows for my digital picture stuff. And I really think that I'm so
*close* to getting this thing to work!
   Of course, it might help if I knew more about what I was doing. As
in, is modprobe the only thing I should be doing? Iknow that /dev/sda
doesn't exist until I do the modprobe, but I wonder: is there something
else? I find it weird that UsbView finds the card reader just fine, even
  names it correctly. Finds the usb modem, too. But Mandrake itself
doesn't have a clue about what to do about either of them. I'd like to
use the usb modem, simply because it's faster than my external serial
modem, but I'm not even sure what parameter I should do a modprobe on
that guy - perhaps usbserial? I tried that, but then I don't know what
"new object" was created from that. So, nothing to use in a 'mount' command.
   Oh well, there's nothing like a challenge, I guess - but I wish that
I could use this card reader on Linux. I hate booting Windows,
retrieving the pictures, then booting into Linux to use the GIMP. It's
just easier, I guess, just to stay in Windows and use some photo
software over there.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY