On Thu, 2002-01-03 at 13:58, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > > Do some more reading of the docs, and if you have more questions, just
> > > post them.
>
> (I'm not the original poster.)  I've read some documents (on the order
> of a year ago) and still have not set up my mail server.  I believe (and
> I'm looking for confirmation) that I don't have to have a registered
> domain name to run a mail server.

This is partially true. To receive mail, you need to have a domain to
which people can send. And to send or relay mail, many servers are set
to refuse mail from another server (like yours) to which they can't do a
dns lookup and verify your server's fully qualified domain name (fqdn).

One workaround for this is to register with dyndns.org or another free
dns service, in which you will be given a host name like
sildara.dyndns.org (that's mine). Then, if you set up your mail server
to use this valid fqdn, you are good to go. I use postfix, and it was
quite simple to get going.

> To get specific, I have an email address at my isp ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
> When I set up my mail server at home, I plan to give it an arbitrary
> fully qualified domain name (that will not be registered) and then use
> aliases or whatever to make the system work.  (I'll probably use
> fetchmail to get the mail, let postfix / procmail sort it, then let
> postfix send it.  I won't need the FQDN for fetchmail, but I guess I
> will need if for Postfix so that upstream mail providers don't think I'm
> an illegal relay (or whatever).)  (I'll probably use something like
> system8.home.z as my non-registered FQDN, where system8 is the host name
> of my main Linux box, home is the workgroup of my Windows network, and z
> is totally arbitrary, but avoids any chance of collision with a real two
> or three letter top level domain.)

I use a non-registered domain internally as well, but for external
domain name resolution you will need something that everyone else can
find. It sounds like you already know this. Postfix is really easy to
configure, and the included documentation has three sample configs for
various sizes of networks.

I host two domains (one non-registered, one registered), plus the dyndns
fqdn on my server. I have both web and mail at sildara.dyndns.org.

> Detailed pointers would be appreciated, but a general "yes, this can
> work, you're on the right track" (or the opposite) would be very
> helpful.
>
> Randy Kramer

Sounds like you're on the right track ;-)

Dave
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and good
with ketchup.