At 11:17 PM 1/3/02 +0200, you wrote:
> > As an aside, I'm truly impressed that people happily helped this lad out
> > by replying,
>
>I'm sure others, like myself, replied by private mail. But what surprised
>me was how *old* we are on average! Nothing like the teenage linux geek
>stereotype.

Yes, that's the first thing that hit me :-)
It's probably the primary reason why there's much less flaming and other
"transient instability" on this list - for which I'm thankful.

> >rather than telling him to take it elsewhere.
>
>I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from pointing out the flaws in his
>research design. But that is what his teacher gets paid for ...

Yup. Hours on-line is not necessarily meaningful, number of computers says
little, addressing his email to a mailing list - especially a newbie list -
which is, by definition a fast-response Internet communications channel
requiring continuous on-line activity, etc, etc.

Hey, what the heck: statistics are for marketing folk. With any luck, he'll
figure out he wants to come to the real world and join the techie crowd on
this list and deal with the REAL problems of life ;->

j.
==================
>--
>Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm
>This message was posted from a Microsoft-free PC
>
>f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx dmnstrtn

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Julian A. Opificius.
802 Fawn Road, Elk River, MN 55330.
Home: 763.441.1291, Cell: 763.360.5919