Tim,

I have had similar experiences with Windows NT 4 and Linux.  The problem stems from
the manual switch not sending a keep alive or still here signal on the mouse when
switching devices.  Windows in general handles this better than Linux as it doesn't
care if the mouse is there or not, it just reacts to a new signal.  I know blasphemy
windows better than Linux, hardly.

Suggestions to fix this:
1) Connect a second mouse to the Linux mouse port, while still using the keyboard and
monitor on the switch, or
2) Get a electronic switch which maintains a pseudo connection while switched to
another device.

Regards
David C.

Tim Evans wrote:
>   I'm a newbie, having just installed Mdk8.1 as a dual boot with my
>   Win2K machine.
>
>   The problem is I have 3 machines which use a Video/Keyboard/Mouse
>   switch. If I start Mdk8.1 everything is fine, but once I switch to
>   one of the other machines and then switch back, the Mouse has
>   Frozen..:(
>
>   Is there any way to unfreeze the mouse with out shutting down?

Tim,

Sorry, I can't answer you're question positively, I really wanted to ask
you a question -- what brand/model of KVM are you using, and is it set
up for PS/2 or AT type ports (or USB)?

I'm still using a mechanical KVM with AT ports, with three computers
that use AT ports and one that uses PS/2 ports.  The (PS/2) keyboard
words fine works fine through the KVM to the PS/2 computer with
appropriate adapters, but I had no luck at all with the PS/2 mouse port,
so I set that computer up to use the serial port for the mouse.  I'd be
interested in any experiences you've had along similar lines.

I had planned to upgrade to an electronic KVM, but had trouble
determining whether it would work properly, and, in the end, it ain't
broke, so I decided not to fix it (for the time being).

Thanks,
Randy Kramer