I am using a 4 port Linksys switch with a Logitech mouse. It work fine
for me all the time except when I switch between X and console mode, but
it can be fix by turning off gdm. However, I think the problem exist
because of my mouse. HTH.

Here is the link to that switch
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=137&grid=25

Robin