tester wrote:

> Anuerin G.Diaz wrote:

<snip>

> > durn! and i switched my boot partition into reiserFS. just read the magic page at
>mandrakesecure and i think i will encounter trouble when updating the kernel. *should
>have stuck with ext3, sheesh*
> >
> > ;-)
> >

> Well you do have XFS and JFS available as well.  JFS might be slightly
> questionable on 8.1 but should be good from that point on, and it is
> fast, though somewhat more wasteful of space and sometimes requirinng
> defragging.
>
> XFS is primo material, in the same order of magnitusde for speed and
> storage use with ext2 and reiserfs, and good to postfix, nfs and samba
> including the ACLs you have for NT servers. It is quite rapid for most
> operations except massive file deletions, where it is very slow.  The
> other functions make up for that one deficiency rather well.
>
> ext3 has as its advantage that you can shift from it to ext2 and back on
> the fly.  Its major disadvantage is that the benchmarks I did, emulating
> everyday activity and mailserver activity suggest it is a pig on speed,
> running at about 2/3 ext2.
>
> Of course if you make your /boot partition anything other than ext2, you
> may have some difficulties keeping several linices on the same machine
> and multi-booting.  Naturally, initrds are very important in mounting /.
>
> Civileme

and now he tells me... ;-)

well i thought i made a sound decision to convert my boot partition to reiserfs (i was
just trying journalling file systems and my knowledge about them was next to nil)
because i heard that reiserfs has
problems with some servers. well it was a good exercise on my part and maybe ill hold
on upgrading to the new kernel and wait for 8.2 and put my boot partition back to ext2
or maybe ext3 if it is that
easy to switch back on to ext2.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
Millennium Software, Incorporated
2305 B West Tower, Philippines Stocks Exchange Center,
Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

Tel# 638-3070 loc. 72
Fax# 638-3079