Jon Doe wrote:
> I am looking for a program or instuctions on how to split up a 750mb home movie file.
> I tried to use rar but can't seem to figure out how to split it in half.
> Is there a way to do this platform indepedent? My father uses Widnows and he will
>want this home movie.
> I did a search on freshmeat but didn't come up with anything.

Have you looked at split?  See man split -- don't know if it will handle
a file that big, but don't know that it wouldn't either.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about splitting movie files -- I'm assuming
that you want to split it to smaller sizes for transport, and then
rejoin it for use.  If not, there may be other things you have to do
that split won't handle.

Randy Kramer