On Friday 11 January 2002 23:04, you wrote:
> On Friday 11 January 2002 10:41 pm, Charles Muller wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am a newcomer to Linux and to this list. I hope that you will not be
> > bothered by my extremely elementary questions.

never

> > I have installed Mandrake 8.1 in a dual boot with Windows 2000 on my Dell
> > desktop. The first thing I would like to do is get some of my previous
> > text documents transferred from the Windows sector into Linux. But with
> > the KDE file manager, I cannot see into the Windows area. Can someone
> > advise me on how to do this?

Mandrake may have already set up your windows files as a directory under /mnt
If you go into Konqueror File Manager, labelled 'home directory' on your
desktop and look in the left pane you will see the root directory. Just click
on the plus sign in front of it (like in Windows) or double click on it and
all the 'sub' directories will appear. One of them will be the mnt directory.
Click on the plus sign in front of it and within it should appear the windows
directory .... labelled 'windows'. Once there, it should all be familiar
territory.

mnt is where linux puts other file systems and Mandrake is very good at
setting it up during installation.

hth,
Bill W.