Andre Dubuc wrote:

> Hi Kaj,
>
> Thanks for the info. I added the additional "append".
>
> My cdwriter is set in lilo, but I'm not clear how to set either to
> "/dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 respectively. "
>
> >From my understanding, the cdwriter already is seen as as ide-scsi device --
> I use Gtoaster and it works beautifully.
>
> How do I change /mnt/cdrom2 to /mnt/scd1?
>
> I changed lilo as you suggested, but my fstab reads (after I've changed lilo):
>
>         /dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0
>         /dev/cdrom2     /mnt/cdrom2     iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0
>
> Obviouisly, I'm missing something here!

Well Andre, I'm not sure I read you correctly, but I assume you are able
to burn CD's on your CD-Writer-drive, which seems to be /mnt/cdrom2 on
your system. But can you (for example) copy an audio-CD from one drive
to the other ? Did you remember to issue the command (as root) : "lilo"
(without the quotes) ? In your "/etc/lilo.conf" - file the append-line
should read something like "append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
devfs=mount " and nothing about the CD's ( who in this context are
nothing but additional drives, althoug SCSI-ones.).

Then your "/etc/fstab"-file should read something like this :

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

If it doesn't, edit it by hand (as root) and save it. Reboot and check.

Another medthod : Rightclick an empthy spot on your desktop, choose
"create new --> CDROM-device --> device" and fill in the appropriate
settings (probably already there in the pull-down menu).

Concerning the CD-player : Open it, click the tools-symbol and then
"kscd options" and choose "/dev/scd1" for your "/mnt/cdrom2". That'll do
the trick (I suppose).

If you have further troubles, don't hesitate to ask again, but please
attach your "lilo.conf" and "fstab" files. Maybe I can be to some help.

Kaj haulrich