On Tuesday 15 January 2002 10:46, you wrote:
> Andre Dubuc wrote:
> > Hi Kaj,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I added the additional "append".
> >
> > My cdwriter is set in lilo, but I'm not clear how to set either to
> > "/dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 respectively. "
> >
> > >From my understanding, the cdwriter already is seen as as ide-scsi
> > > device --
> >
> > I use Gtoaster and it works beautifully.
> >
> > How do I change /mnt/cdrom2 to /mnt/scd1?
> >
> > I changed lilo as you suggested, but my fstab reads (after I've changed
> > lilo):
> >
> >         /dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660
> > ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0 /dev/cdrom2     /mnt/cdrom2
> > iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0
> >
> > Obviouisly, I'm missing something here!
>
> Well Andre, I'm not sure I read you correctly, but I assume you are able
> to burn CD's on your CD-Writer-drive, which seems to be /mnt/cdrom2 on
> your system. But can you (for example) copy an audio-CD from one drive
> to the other ? Did you remember to issue the command (as root) : "lilo"
> (without the quotes) ? In your "/etc/lilo.conf" - file the append-line
> should read something like "append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
> devfs=mount " and nothing about the CD's ( who in this context are
> nothing but additional drives, althoug SCSI-ones.).
>
> Then your "/etc/fstab"-file should read something like this :
>
> /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
> /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
>
> If it doesn't, edit it by hand (as root) and save it. Reboot and check.
>
> Another medthod : Rightclick an empthy spot on your desktop, choose
> "create new --> CDROM-device --> device" and fill in the appropriate
> settings (probably already there in the pull-down menu).
>
> Concerning the CD-player : Open it, click the tools-symbol and then
> "kscd options" and choose "/dev/scd1" for your "/mnt/cdrom2". That'll do
> the trick (I suppose).
>
> If you have further troubles, don't hesitate to ask again, but please
> attach your "lilo.conf" and "fstab" files. Maybe I can be to some help.
>
> Kaj haulrich

Hi Kaj,

Well, it works. Seems like the problem centered around the identities of
cdrom(1) - the cdwriter functioning as a writer, and cdrom2 - the CDROM
player. After I edited the fstab as Derek suggested, it still wouldn't work
(though I could manually get the CDROM to play (by pushing the play button on
the machine).

I tried changing the preferences in Kcdplayer to /dev/scd0 (for the CDROM,
which it should be according to the drive parameter "hdb") -- it worked.
Now, why it wouldn't it do the same when listed as an IDE device
(/dev/cdrom)? Sigh . . .

Thank-you for responding so quickly, and in length. Your advice was great. My
wife also thanks you -- now she can listen to her Flamenco guitar music!

Regards,
Andre

Please pray the Holy Rosary to end the holocaust of abortion.
Remember, in your prayers, the suffering souls in Purgatory.

May God bless you abundantly with His love!

For a free Cenacle Scriptural Rosary Booklet -- http://www.webhart.net/csrb/