A simpler solution is to grab the Evolution1.0-2 RPMs for Mandrake 8.1 from
Texstars site www.pclinuxonline.com
They should load without any dependency problems.
(I'm beginning to feel like an 'Infomercial' for Tex. This is the second time
I've plugged his site today..)

He has i686 RPM's posted at present  (Pentium 3,4 or Athlon), not sure about
i586 because his ftp site is not accepting anonymous access this evening

derek