install wvdial off your mandrake cd's

then go to /etc  in an xterm (as root) and type 'touch wvdial.conf'

then type wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

it will go and find your modem, query it, and put its details in
/etc/wvdial.conf...

then, edit that file, and fill in the blanks for dialup number, username and
password..

then, run the file by typing: wvdial &

the modem will dialup your ISP, and work out what it needs... it works
great..

I create two files called dial and hangup.. by doing this:

touch /usr/sbin/dial
and
touch /usr/sbin/hangup

then edit dial and put: wvdial &
in it, and any other things you want to run on dialup, (like restarting you
firewall or whatever.)

then do the same for hangup, and this time put: killall wvdial

then, whenever you want to dial, you type dial, and ditto with hangup...

works great, and it solved a problem I had, where my ISP, uses two different
routers to connect to, both of which had different prompting methods and as
such normal dialup scripts wouldn't work...

give it a go, its easy to do, and works great... (you will have to use sudo
if you want to do it as anyone other then root.)

rgds

Frank