I cannot hear cds neither with kscd nor with grip.
I read mails in last days but couldn't find an answer; I'm afraid there
is a little stupid simple thing to do but I tried hard and can't find. I
hope someone can help, thank you for reading this. BYE.
I am trying to listen from an ide 16xdvd-cd on /dev/hda (there is also a
cdrw on /dev/hdd (system set it to /dev/scd0 but to start xcdroast I had
to make changes, this is another long boring story).

1) I can see and access normal data from /dev/hda.
2) I can hear system sounds and .wav files
3) arts volume control is set to max.
4) mixer channels are all not muted (green light on) and volumes set to
max (no way to hear sounds without starting mixer).
5) kscd is configured to device /dev/hda by editing
/home/user/.kde/share/config/kscdrc (no way to change device from inside
kscd, it always ends with error 11 sigsegv); /dev/cdrom doesn't exist on
my sistem;there is /dev/cdroms but kscd set to this doesn' even see the cd.
6) /dev/hda is unmounted
7) entry in /etc/fstab is:
/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto user,
iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

I can't understand what does it mean what a fellow wrote some days ago,
that one should look if audio cable is connected from cd to soundcard-I
don't have audio cables or jacks and audio cds work under
windows-i-am-trying-to-leave-but-it-looks-hard.