if you don't have a cable from your cdrom to your soundcard then you will
have problems, the traditional for computers to play audio cds was to
transfer the sound in analogue form along a cable from the cdrom to the
soundcard, even when cdroms first became capable of digital audio extraction
and people strated ripping mp3s etc. this was still the case, though in some
case instead of an analogue cable a digital transfer was made but still using
a special cable (both drive and soundcard have to support this), but now,
later versions of windows transfer audio data from audion cds via the data
bus in digital form, personally i think that there is some merit to this but
it does mean that oem systems integrators like to save the small amount of
money that omitting a cable brings, as far as i know the standard linux way
of playing audio cds is still to use the analogue/digital cable, i have yet
to hear of a cdrom/dvd that doesn't have the connector for this cable or of
the soundcard that doesn't have the connector, your solution would seem to be
to purchase and fit one! here in the uk they can be had for about £4.00
you will need to check your drive to see what outputs you have are on the
back and check your soundcard as well
bascule