paolo brusasco wrote:

>   I cannot hear cds neither with kscd nor with grip.
> I read mails in last days but couldn't find an answer; I'm afraid there
> is a little stupid simple thing to do but I tried hard and can't find. I
> hope someone can help, thank you for reading this. BYE.
> I am trying to listen from an ide 16xdvd-cd on /dev/hda (there is also a
> cdrw on /dev/hdd (system set it to /dev/scd0 but to start xcdroast I had
> to make changes, this is another long boring story).
>
> 1) I can see and access normal data from /dev/hda.
> 2) I can hear system sounds and .wav files
> 3) arts volume control is set to max.
> 4) mixer channels are all not muted (green light on) and volumes set to
> max (no way to hear sounds without starting mixer).
> 5) kscd is configured to device /dev/hda by editing
> /home/user/.kde/share/config/kscdrc (no way to change device from inside
> kscd, it always ends with error 11 sigsegv); /dev/cdrom doesn't exist on
> my sistem;there is /dev/cdroms but kscd set to this doesn' even see the cd.
> 6) /dev/hda is unmounted
> 7) entry in /etc/fstab is:
> /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto user,
> iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
>
> I can't understand what does it mean what a fellow wrote some days ago,
> that one should look if audio cable is connected from cd to soundcard-I
> don't have audio cables or jacks and audio cds work under
> windows-i-am-trying-to-leave-but-it-looks-hard.

Paolo, this sounds a little confusing to me. Normally hda is the
harddisk, attached as "master" on the first IDE-bus. It seems that
you've got a CD-writer attached as "slave" to your second IDE-bus.A
typical setup would be to attach a CD-reader (CDROM) to either "slave"
on the first IDE-bus (hdb) or (in your case) to "master" on the second
IDE-bus (hdc). I don't understand how you intend to play a music-CD from
your harddisk (hda) ???

I'd recommend, that you attach your CD-reader (CDROM) to "master" on the
second IDE-bus (hdc). Then, as root, edit /etc/lilo.conf to something
like :

image=/boot/vmlinuz
       label=Linux
       root=/dev/hda2
       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
       append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi devfs=mount "
       vga=791
       read-only
the important line being : append=" hd(your CD-drive here)=ide-scsi "
which tells the kernel to "see" your ATAPI CD-ROM as a SCSI-device.
After editing this file, remember to run lilo (at a command-prompt, type
: lilo).
Then reboot to let the kernel know the changes.

Now XCDroast should recognize both drives. Also, change your settings in
the CD-player to /dev/scd0 and it should play from the CD-Reader (hdc).
Finally, go to the mixer-panel and turn the PCM-channel off. Play.

Hope this helps.

Kaj Haulrich