I'm coming in a bit late here, but here are a couple of suggestions :-

1/ You do not need to use CDwriting software as root so long as you set it up
correctly.
Create a group called cdwriter or somesuch, make yourself and any other
required users members of that group. Edit the permissions of
/usr/bin/cdrecord  /usr/bin/cdparanoia /usr/bin/mkisofs /usr/bin/cdda2wav
/usr/bin/mpg123 /usr/bin/readcd

to give read and execute permissions to the cdwriter group.

You can test access to the cdwriter by opening a terminal and typing
cdrecord -scanbus
Try this as a normal user, and as root. It should report the existence of
your drive in both cases.

2/ In some computers the cdwriter will not work with devfs enabled. If
cdrecord -scanbus did not work even as root then amend your lilo to read
append=" hdc=ide-scsi devfs=nomount"

Then run lilo with /sbin/lilo and reboot

If this fixes the problem you might find you can no longer play audio CD's
To fix this new fault create a symlink
ln -s /dev/hdx /dev/cdrom   where hdx is the IDE reference for your cd-Rom
HTH

derek