Because it worked fine in MDK 8.0 a few weeks ago, it didn't cross my mind to
even check if it should be flashed. However, I took it from 1.07 to 1.09 and
wrote an .iso from the prompt, as root! Could mount and 'ls' it afterwards.

Tried a disk-to-disk copy in GCombust and the buffer emptied, but this is
labelled as unreliable anyway. Copied the CD to .wav's on the HD, then wrote
it at 8 speed - it worked fine.

Still not quite sure what wasn't happy with the firmware version - even if
cdrecord has put on a revision between 8.0 and 8.1, surely they/he wouldn't
take out existing support?

Thank you Derek, and thank you Chris for all your help.

Richard

Derek Jennings, Tuesday 29 January 2002 11:20: