On Monday 28 January 2002 07:13 pm, you wrote:
> Lee wrote:
> > My answer was to find a wall directly into the reservoir and drill a
> > small hole.  I filled the reservoir through a hypodermic, then screwed a
> > #4 machine screw into the hole, sealing my entry.  Bingo!
>
> Lee,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I'll have to get the model number of the Xerox
> printer again and then write back to you -- I did something similar
> before I did the "destructive analysis" of the cartridge.  It seems that
> we had trouble getting the printer to recognize that the cartridge was
> full again -- it often acted like it was still empty.  Every once in a
> while I did the right thing and got a refilled cartridge to work ok.
> Never really found out if had some kind of something built into the
> cartridge to keep it from being refilled (like eprom or something).
>
> Did you have any trouble like that?
>
> regards,
> Randy Kramer

I have read that there are smart cartridges out there.  Given that the whole
idea of cheap printers is to sell expensive ink, it makes a sort of warped
sense, doesn't it!

Anyway, there's no surprises in mine except the shape fills 80% of the
apparent ink space with air.  What a rip off.

I did find out that you need to fill the cartridge befor it is completely
empty or right when the computer warns of impending doom.  I let it go dry
the first time and the printing was iffy for days after.  Being my first
refill try, I thought it was the ink I bought, but it cleared up and has
worked fine through several more refills.

Lee